Thingybot 3D Printers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Formal Request for action / communication from Matt

4 posters

Go down

Formal Request for action / communication from Matt Empty Formal Request for action / communication from Matt

Post by Jesshield Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Matt,
I have attempted for over a month now to get any response from you, and have even attempted to contact people just to make sure you hadn't had an accident or something that would prevent communication. This does not seem the case. So it appears you are avoiding me, and your backers, on purpose. I have spoken to a lawyer and have been assured that with your guarantee of shipment I have all I need for a successful small claims suit. I do not want to go through this process, but I will if you decide not to respond and fulfill your obligations that you guaranteed in writing. I would much rather go back to the very friendly and communicative nature of the creator/backer relationship that existed before December, even if that means more delays that are at least explained. I am attempting to contact you once again, and if I do not see any response by the end of the week, I will be filling a report with Kickstarter. If that does not get a response within a week of reporting, I will be sending you a formal letter of demand, which is the step before legal action. Again, I would really prefer not to do this, and would hope that this direct communication well prompt you to respond. I truly hope you do. We as backers believed in you enough to invest significant amounts of money to you Kickstarter, please prove our belief was warranted.
Jesse
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Formal Request for action / communication from Matt Empty Re: Formal Request for action / communication from Matt

Post by Jesshield Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:28 pm

The Kickstarter has now been reported. Please contact your backers to restore positive communication.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Formal Request for action / communication from Matt Empty Re: Formal Request for action / communication from Matt

Post by Mooselake Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Any progress?  Gotten any response?

Pure speculation but I wonder if Matt's last credit card was refused because it limited out - better than an accident or illness.  He's commented elsewhere that he purchased all the required parts shortly after the campaign closed (we discussed early testing and burn-in on another forum), so it's not like he bent some metal, took the money, and ran.

If that's the case there's been a couple comments by people willing to help.   He's a 20 year old kid, working as a computer tech, and probably doesn't have the financial cushion that somebody further along in their career would have.

Kirk
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 pm

No responses, even in polite asking if he is ok to both mother and sister.  If he doesn't communicate what's going wrong, we can't find solutions.  And in doing so he's also violating the Kickstarter terms.  I hope he speaks up soon. I would have to wager it's something about shipping, as he had promised shipment to me before Dec 9th and again before the 16th. Considering it did seem as if he had all the parts, this makes the most logical sense to me.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooselake Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:19 pm

That's what makes this whole thing pretty strange.  He had all the parts and pre-built machines that he was reprinting the parts that broke in shipping for, custom sized shipping boxes so he could double box everything, and seemed to have the shipping issues under control.  He redesigned and rebuilt the three towers from his original design, going from linear rods to 20mm extrusions and guide wheels, and replaced the original printed connecting rods (don't remember the official delta name) with machine-shop made solid 5/16" aluminum rods.  The beefed up parts were themselves replacements for replacements of the originals since the mounting holes were offset from their designed location by the waterjetter.  He put a lot of extra effort into their design and production, and mentioned that he'd exceeded the KS funds and was paying for the changes himself.

My TBD came packed in enough bubble wrap and Styrofoam peanuts that I could almost start my own packing company.

FWIW, Mrs. Moose and I went to Baltimore to visit the 3 moosettes (moosecateers?) around that time (only chance to catch all 3 in-country in the next year), and I PM'd Matt on a different forum to ask how far he was from Baltimore .  While I didn't say I was hoping it was close enough I could drop by and say Hi, as well as meet him in person instead of through the Internet.  He picked up the message on 12/15, but I haven't heard from or seen anything from him since.  His last visit there was also 12/15 at the same time he read the message.

The whole message was "I'm in Baltimore for a couple weeks, wondering how far that is from you", can't see where that would be threatening.

Kirk
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooselake Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 pm

If Matt really spent all the KS money and was already dipping into his own pockets (and I have no reason to doubt that he didn't), then he's within the KS guidelines to just do an update saying he's sorry but the project failed, and here's where the money went.  He'd still be obligated to return any non-KS pre-sales money (spent or not), but he'd have no obligation to provide a refund to anybody else.  Plus he'd shut down all the legal threatening going on in the KS comments (well, maybe not shut it down but make it irrelevant).

Tiko 3D looks like they're at that point, and that was a whole lot more money than the $13K here.   Peachy Printer not only did the same, but one of the founders reportedly took a big chunk of the money and used it to build a house.  Doesn't seem to have resulted in any consequences for the accused thief, either.

Matt's silence just doesn't make any sense, other than he's commented before he has problems giving bad news.

Usual IANAL disclaimer.

Kirk

OT, but I see MTU just lost a couple games to Bemidji last weekend.  I turned down working the Winter Carnival game Friday night, need to get up at 4am for a duty shift Saturday, really gotta learn to say no even if they sound so pitiful when asking.
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 am

Tiko actually got to some level of fulfillment, one of my co-workers has one. As far as this goes, I agree on most of it, and I'm usually the soapbox guy when people are having issues. My standing, both moral and legal, is that I was lied to. I was given dates, and told my printer was in a box with a ups label on it that would be emailed to me the next day. That's not a mistake, or an opps, it's a lie. Normally a Kickstarter fails, you say why, do what you can ect ect. and that's that. But, here the Terms do specify and quote "they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; " which covers lying. That's why I have referred to a lawyer to check that out, luckily that part was free. I contacted Kickstarter support directly and expecting a mail tomorrow or the next day in order to see what more can be done. And not to be finger pointing , because you're a nice guy, but it's probably easier to swallow when you are one of three that actually got your reward. That's just luck on your part. I really wanted Matt to succeed here, but I really dislike being deceived, no matter how bad someone dislikes giving bad news. If it came down to coughing up another 50 to get it shipped, I'd even be happy with that. But don't lie to my face, and act like you're excited to see the custom door I had laser cut for the machine then go dark. Not cool.

OT - Yeah Bemidji is a tough team this year, I think winning those games gave them a hefty point lead in conference/division whatever they call it.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooselake Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am

Matt's sudden disappearance everywhere online is really strange, like something unexpected triggered it.  Wonder if there was another threat that made him pull back into his shell, like the incident with his sister?  I'd just have done an online update and blown them off, but then again I'm not 20, and I've had a lot of experience with the toothless rant and rave online community.  Part of my ISP job was being the online security/"fraud" department, before you jump to conclusions.

Matt's definitely not acting appropriately, and is in the wrong, but he's either spent years working up to a mini-scam (really? $13K isn't worth this amount of buildup and effort) or had some kind of meltdown.  Another stalker or threat that wasn't mentioned here or in the KS comments?  No way to tell.

While I've never met him in person I've known him online for several years, and through all of his KS projects.  This doesn't match up with what he's done before.

Still no answer or voicemail at the listed phone #.

Kirk
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 pm

No conclusions jumped to, I work in IT, I understand. Smile
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelious2 Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:17 am

I forget to go to this forum for bouts of time, I've actually known Matt for a few years in another forum. He's a good honest guy but I think he planned based on things going fairly perfect and then he had a few large issues that wiped out the KS money and I would be shocked if he isn't at least a few grand into his own money.

That said he's also had a few other rough patches I won't go into and I haven't heard from him in months myself. A little context I can provide is that I'd been talking with him through the KS and received the first printer and it came completely unusable which triggered the refit. After that I believe he had issues with a shipping company that ended up having a couple more units destroyed and even then he wants desperately to make things right but with his other issues he's stuck and doesn't want to just say "sorry folks outta money had too many issues"

Cornelious2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooselake Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Did you eventually receive a working printer?  I was backer number 2 and mine worked fine out of the styrofoam peanut filled double box, but that might have just been luck.

Kirk
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 am

I think we can all sympathize if he's going through a rough patch, but not communicating and lying is not the way to go either. He needs to own up and explain, and soon.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelious2 Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:36 am

Yes I sent many many pictures of all the damage of the first one and the replacement came back functional, only issue I have is a slightly bulged build plate which I am trying to slowly flatten (its THICK steel), and the need to add grease to some places not in the instructions.

-Jess Completely agree but I will also say trying to reach out to his family and threatening legal action over and over has probably gotten him freaked out. Not Condoning the lack of communication just trying to keep a crappy situation from getting worse. I haven't heard from him in months and I have mine so all I can say is that he is not specifically avoiding just you but I agree being left in the dark sucks.

Cornelious2

Back to top Go down

Post by albertzerok Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:40 pm

After something like 80 hours trying to get my printer working, I sold it for $140 as-is on ebay. It definately did not get to me properly calibrated and it just went down hill from there.

As for your money, call your credit card company, make sure you mention No contact, no updates, and if you have a promise of a delivery, state that. Kickstarter will be useless.

I'm offically done with kick starter unless it's the Oat Meal or something in expensive. With Peachy Printer's House, one kick starter 3d printer campaign canceled last month and more than a few others going belly up, I'm done.

On a bright side, if you're looking for a good printers, might I suggest Mono Price's Select or Mini - I've picked up a few of each and WOW is all I can say. They need a glass bed, but other than that, AMAZING!

Anyone has any questions or if I can help, shoot me an email proffitt.jeremy@gmail.com or look me up on the old facebook, I'm in both Monoprice printer groups and a couple others.

albertzerok

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah,  the Monoprice Select is a good machine, I love mine.  I'm sorry to hear your machine was not viable, this gives me even more concern.  In regards to talking about legal action, I had attempted serveral weeks of personable, reasonable, "Hey you promised me a shipping label, 1, then 2, then 3 weeks...ago"  And was ignored then, long before any further inquiry was made to family or about legal action.  Yes, I was certainly hoping the prospect of legal action would "shake the tree" so to speak, but I have also legitimately spoken to a lawyer and with the direct promises I was made, I have all that I would need for a small claims.  Still, I have hesitated, hoping Matt will come back around and make this right.   I'm not even sure if at this point the credit card company would be useful, but it's worth looking into.   I don't want to tangle him up in some legal dispute, he's a young guy trying to start something.  But on the same hand, he needs to meet his obligations as a creator and business person, and just generally as a human being.  Being honest and open is the best way for this to happen.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by albertzerok Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I'll be honest, I don't think their is any blood in the rock to squeeze, even small claims court will likely be your cost and while you may get a judgement, will you be able to collect?

If your lawyer didn't tell you that, then you are using the wrong lawyer. Most would tell you to let it go.

albertzerok

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelious2 Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Besides the plate mine seems viable I'd post a picture of some of my prints but don't see the option. If anything I'm just not fond of cura or at least the version this is stuck at.

Edit: I was having a nightmare of a time till I realised a little lithium grease at the magnet joints made calibration work properly.

Cornelious2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornelious2 Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Formal Request for action / communication from Matt Img_2010

Cornelious2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey, a prints a print, and ever printer needs tweaking. At this stage I'd take the parts to make something viable out of. Yeah, I'm really not sure what to do here anymore, I'm just wholly tired of it, and I'm extremely disappointed in the project creator. He gave me good word because I had been burned before on a printer ( I got it, but it's crap, Deltaprintr) that he would make good on his Kickstarter. That and telling me it was boxed and had a shipping label already, then nothing, complete kick to the teeth. I'll link a pic of the custom door I had laser cut in anticipation of this printer when I am home, at that point Matt was even good enough to give me the files for sizing. I just don't get where he could go from being a great creator, to one that doesn't even bother to communicate, and not even have the respect to tell us what's going on.
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

Feb 21 Matt's mother(facebook) commented that she was glad he went to Walmart with her, so the worry that he is harmed or worse can be dismissed. Not happy with the guy, but at least he's alive and well.

Last edited by Jesshield on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooselake Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 pm

How did you know that?

Kirk
Mooselake
Mooselake
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesshield Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Clicked on Matt's FB link on the Kickstarter, then his mom comes up as his friend.  Looked at her recent posts(if something was wrong as I a parent I figured she'd post about it) and it was right out in the open. (Public post, nothing weird going on). I see I left Facebook off the original posting, have edited. Sorry for the confusion Kirk
Jesshield
Jesshield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down